Open Plan Living
January 30, 2013
We all love the open plan design that we view in magazines – lofty ceiling, amazing views – and picture ourselves with cocktail in hand, soothing music in the background. But is it right for you? It is important to weigh all the options – as sometimes it isn’t all you dreamed it would be.
You may want to think twice if you check yes to any of these boxes:
– I have a great selection of art and paintings that I like to display (remember…fewer or no more walls)
– I have teenagers (yup – think hard on this one…make sure that they have their own gaming/study area outside of their rooms…otherwise they will look outside of your home for other places to hang out!
– I am a clean person, but not necessarily neat (hired help, anyone?)
– I am a neat and clean person and hate messes (OCD or borderline)
– I love ethnic cooking (care to share those odors with everyone?)
– I don’t have adequate storage in my house (losing a few walls can equate to losing storage and organization)
– Not sure if that wall I want to remove is a load bearing wall…(this is where you call us)
The key thing is, when designing open plan – you are inclined to want your home to conform to your immediate needs. Anything can be done with time and budget – however – don’t forget those future needs. If you plan on only being in your home a short time, than no worries, but if you plan to feather your nest for awhile – give us a call and we can help you determine if Open Plan Living is right for you. There are always options – and should be considered before you take a sledgehammer to that wall!
Call us for an initial free consultation – Step One Design, 778.433.1434.